We attended this year’s event showcasing designers and graphic artists from Australia and around the world – two days of being fully immersed in design thinking. Held at the Powerhouse, the Design Conference was attended by over 500 delegates (local, national and international designers, industry peers, students and people who just love design!)
Design has the ability to extend, express and engage. It can communicate beyond perceived boundaries – geographically, culturally, politically and ethically.
It was a sensory delight seeing these designers’ works and hearing their journeys (both personal insights and career highlights). With the theme to this year’s event being “Life changing moments”, each speaker presented their own perspective on how they do what they do, and more importantly WHY they do what they do. As both personal and professional yardsticks, we found ourselves inwardly exclaiming “yes!” “me too!” and “oh wow!” many times! We thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity to meet other designers, discuss design topics in depth, be creatively inspired and awed by the achievements of such stand-out creatives!
- It’s cool to be a kiwi and wear jandals on stage
- Dyslexia is no obstacle to great design
- Design can be a powerful driver to effecting change in humanity
- Beautiful normal is a wonderful state of being!
- Typefaces can be exceptional in themselves – when incorporated into brilliant design – the result AMAZING!
- By guided by your own passion. It’s not a competition.
Each speaker was insightful and empowering in their own way.
Absolute standouts were…
It is so important to be challenged and inspired by learning from others.
And TDC provided us with such a brilliant opportunity to do this.
So when can we purchase tickets for next year’s event?
Because everything tastes better with a sprinkle of salt!